BibliographicEntryResult(w/surroundingtext)StandardizedResultMilk
Weight density and details Gravity of assorted Liquids. 1998 Pump.Net. Might 29, 2002.

You are watching: Density of milk g/cm3

"Milk has actually a weight density of 64.2 to 64.6. "1028–1035kg/m3
Specific gravity of Various products Compiled by the engineering Group. Delta Controls corporation Engineered Sensors for an overwhelming Services. Might 29, 2002.NAMELBS/FT3 DENSITYSPG
64.41.035
1035kg/m3Dairy Chemistry and Physics. Douglas Goff. University of Guelph."With all of this in mind, the thickness of milk varies within the selection of 1027 come 1033kgm(-3) at 20°C. "1027–1033kg/m3I likewise determined the thickness of milk myself.1037kg/m3The following table offers the density of various liquid dairy productsas a role of fat and solids-not-fat (SNF) composition:CompositionDensity (kg/L) at:ProductFat(%)SNF(%)4.4°C10.0°C20.0°C38.9°C
Producer milk04.0008.951.0351.0331.0301.023
Homogenized milk03.6008.601.0331.0321.0291.022
Skim milk, pkg00.0208.901.0361.0351.0331.026
Fortified skim00.0210.151.0411.0401.0381.031
Half and half12.2507.751.0271.0251.0201,010
Half and half, fort.11.3008.901.0311.0301.0241.014
Light cream20.0007.201.0211.0181.0121.000
Heavy cream36.6005.551.0081.0050.9940.978

Milk is a very nutritious and versatile food. Human being enjoy drink milk in its natural kind and likewise use the to do a wide selection of food products, including cream, butter, yogurt, cheese, and ice cream. We drink the milk produced from a variety of domesticated mammals, including cows, goats, sheep, camels, reindeer, buffaloes, and also llama. The major source for commercial production and also consumption is native cows.

Most milk is created of 80 to 90 percent water. The remaining 10 percent consists of the major nutrients needed by the body for an excellent health, consisting of fats, carbohydrates, proteins, minerals, and vitamins. Cow milk contains approximately 87% of water, 3 come 4% protein, 4 to 4.5% fat, and approximately 4.5% milk street (lactose). It frequently contains around 3.5 come 5 percent fat, i beg your pardon is spread throughout the milk in globules. Fat gives taste and also texture, and also vitamins A, D, E, and also K, also as particular fatty acids that the human body is unable to produce. Lactose is a type of sugar uncovered only in milk and also gives milk the sweet taste. It makes up about 5 percent of milk"s content.

If the fat contents is lowered to 3.25 percent, the milk is sold as whole milk. Low-fat milk commonly has 1 percent or 2 percent fat. Because fat has a lower specific gravity and also therefore is "lighter" than the milk serum, fat globules climb to the milk surface. Then, fat have the right to be accumulated or skimmed indigenous the milk. The fat thus collected is dubbed "cream" and also the milk deprived that fat is called "skimmed milk"or "skim milk". As the lighter milk fat rises come the surface, the thickness changes. Together you go in the direction of the surface ar it creates layers of diminish density. As soon as milk is left come stand long enough, some separation will occur since of density differences.

Cream or milk fat is lighter in thickness than water and floats ~ above the surface ar of un-homogenized milk. Once you skim off the surface, several of the fat, the denser parts remains and also the milk is denser. This explains why skim milk is denser.

I additionally determined the thickness of milk myself.

See more: How Many Acute Angles Does A Hexagon Have ? How Many Obtuse Angles Does A Hexagon Have

*
Full weight: 256.6g
*
Empty weight: 0.420oz. (11.9g)
256.6 g (the massive of milk v carton)−11.9g (the fixed of the carton)=244.7g (mass of milk). This is same to 0.2447kg.The volume of milk is ½ pint equal to 236 ml or 0.000236m3.Density=Mass/Volume. Therefore density=0.2447kg/ 0.000236m3=1036.86kg/m3.

Alicia Noelle Jones -- 2002