just how do they different in color? Dorsal side shade ___________ Ventral side color ____________
2. Examine the hind legs.
How numerous toes are present? ________ space the toe webbed? ______
3. Research the forelegs. How many toes are present? _________Are the toe webbed? _______
4. Usage a ruler to measure her frog, measure from the pointer of the head come the end of the frog"s backbone (do not encompass the foot in her measurement). Compare the size of her frog to various other frogs
your Frog (cm)
5. Situate the frog"s eyes, the nictitating membrane is a clear membrane the attached to the bottom of the eye. Use tweezers to carefully remove the nictitating membrane. Girlfriend may likewise remove the eyeball. What color is the nictitating membrane? _______ What color is the eyeball? _________
6. Just behind the eye on the frog"s head is a circular structure dubbed the tympanic membrane. The tympanic membrane is offered for hearing. Measure up the diameter (distance throughout the circle) of the tympanic membrane. Diameter of tympanic membrane _______cm
7. Feel the frog"s skin. Is the scaley or is the slimey? ____________
Anatomy that the Frog"s Mouth
Procedure: Pry the frog"s mouth open and also use scissors to reduced the angles of the frog"s jaws open. Cut deeply enough so the the frog"s mouth opens vast enough to watch the frameworks inside.
1. Situate the tongue. Play with the tongue. Walk it connect to the front or the earlier of the mouth? __________ (You might remove the tongue)
2. In the center of the mouth, towards the ago is a single round opening. This is the esophagus. This tube leads come the stomach. Usage a probe come poke into the esophagus.
3. Close come the angle of the jaw space two openings, one on each side. These space the Eustachian tubes. Castle are provided to equalize press in the inner ear while the frog is swimming.
Insert a probe right into the Eustachian tube. Come what structure does the Eustachian tube attach? _____________________
4. Just behind the tongue, and before you reach the esophagus is a slit favor opening. (You might need to use your probe to acquire it to open up). This slot is the glottis, and also it is the opening to the lungs. The frog breathes and also vocalizes with the glottis.
5. The frog has actually two sets of teeth. The vomarine this are discovered on the roof the the mouth. The maxillary teeth space found about the leaf of the mouth. Both are offered for holding prey, frogs swallow your meals whole and also do not chew.
6. ~ above the roof of the mouth, friend will discover two small openings, if you placed your probe right into those openings, friend will uncover they leave on the outside of the frog. These room the nostrils.
draw the frogs mouth. Brand each the the structures underlined above.
complete the chart listed below
Mouth of the frog
1. Place the frog in the dissecting pan ventral next up.
2. Use scissors come life the ab muscles far from the body cavity. Reduced along the midline the the human body from the pelvic to the pectoral girdle.
3. Make transverse (horizontal) cuts near the arms and legs.
4. Life the flaps of the body wall surface and pen back.
*If your specimen is a female, the body may be filled with eggs and an enlarged ovary. You might need to eliminate these eggs to see the organs.
find each the the guts below. Check package to suggest that you discovered the organs.
Fat body --Spaghetti shaped structures that have a glowing orange or yellow color, if you have a an especially fat frog, these fat bodies might need to be gotten rid of to see the other structures. Usually they space located just on the within of the abdominal muscle wall.
Peritoneum A spider web like membrane that covers many of the organs, friend may have to very closely pick it turn off to acquire a clear watch
Liver --The biggest structure the the the body cavity. This brown colored organ is created of 3 parts, or lobes. The right lobe, the left anterior lobe, and the left posterior lobe. The liver is not mostly an body organ of digestion, it does secrete a digestive juice called bile. Bile is necessary for the suitable digestion of fats.
Heart - at the peak of the liver, the love is a triangular structure. The left and right atrium deserve to be uncovered at the optimal of the heart. A solitary ventricle located at the bottom of the heart. The large vessel prolonging out from the heart is the conus arteriosis.
Lungs - situate the lung by spring underneath and also behind the heart and liver. They space two spongy organs.
bile bladder --Lift the lobes the the liver, there will certainly be a tiny green sac under the liver. This is the bile bladder, which stores bile. (hint: it kind of looks favor a booger)
Stomach --Curving from underneath the liver is the stomach. The stomach is the first major site of chemistry digestion. Frogs swallow their meals whole. Follow the stomach to wherein it turns into the small intestine. The pyloric sphincter valve regulates the leave of digested food native the stomach come the tiny intestine.
tiny Intestine --Leading indigenous the stomach. The an initial straight portion of the little intestine is referred to as the duodenum, the curled part is the ileum. The ileum is organized together by a membrane referred to as the mesentery. Note the blood ship running v the mesentery, they will carry soaked up nutrients far from the intestine. Absorb of digested nutrient occurs in the tiny intestine.
huge Intestine --As you monitor the tiny intestine down, it will widen into the large intestine. The huge intestine is also known as the cloaca in the frog. The cloaca is the critical stop prior to wastes, sperm, or urine leave the frog"s body. (The word "cloaca" way sewer)
Spleen --Return come the crease of the mesentery, this dark red spherical thing serves as a stop area for blood.
Esophagus --Return come the stomach and follow it upward, where it gets smaller is the start of the esophagus. The esophagus is the tube the leads from the frogs mouth come the stomach. Open up the frogs mouth and find the esophagus, poke your probe right into it and see where it leads.
STOP! If you have actually not located each the the guts above, perform not continue on to the following sections!
removal of the Stomach: cut the stomach the end of the frog and open that up. Girlfriend may find what stays of the frog"s last meal in there. Look at the texture of the stomach on the inside.
What go you find in the stomach?
measure up the little intestine: eliminate the tiny intestine from the body cavity and carefully different the mesentery indigenous it. Stretch the little intestine out and measure it. Currently measure your frog. Document the measurements below in centimeters.
Frog length: _______ centimeter Intestine length ________ cm
post Lab Questions
1. The membrane holds the coils that the little intestine together: ________________
2. This organ is uncovered under the liver, it stores bile: ______________________
3. Surname the 3 lobes the the liver: ____________, _______________, ______________
4. The body organ that is the very first major website of chemical digestion: ____________________
5. Eggs, sperm, urine and wastes every empty right into this structure: ___________________
6. The small intestine leads to the: ____________________
7. The esophagus leader to the: _______________________
8. Yellowish frameworks that serve as an power reserve: ____________________
9. The very first part of the small intestine(straight part): _______________________
10. ~ food passes v the stomach the enters the: ____________________
You are watching: What color is the nictitating membrane of a frog
See more: How Long Does It Take To Drive Around Jamaica To The Other? Driving Across Jamaica
A spiderweb like membrane that covers the organs: ______________________
12. Regulates the exit of partially digested food indigenous the stomach: ________________